Tuesday, July 7, 2009

A Tribute

Okay, so we all know it takes two to make a baby, but let's be honest, pregnancy is focused almost entirely on the mother. So, for that reason, I have decided to dedicate this entry to my husband and all the men out there who go through pregnancy and all that it entails with their wives.

I would like to start with patience. For the entire first trimester, I was basically in a coma. While most men are greeted by their loving wives and sometimes even a warm meal when they arrive from a long day at work, mine arrived to a sleeping wife, sometimes with remote in hand and no prospect for a meal of any kind. He never once complained, in fact, most nights he came in kissed me on the forehead, and made dinner for himself and sometimes me, if it was working for me that day. Some evenings, I would literally sleep from the moment I walked in the door from work until the next morning. I'm not sure how either of us survived that period. Fortunately, I was too tired to be moody, so he didn't have to deal with my attitude in addition to my inactivity.

Next is persistence. Nick has gone to almost all of my doctor's appointments with me, which has been great, but it has also made him hold me accountable to what my doctor says. For example, our first visit, the doctor suggested I take a fatty acid supplement because there is some research that shows it may help with brain development. From that day forward, it became his mission to get me on those fatty acids. Prenatals did NOT agree with me, so I was not so big into pills of any kind. But he never gave up, and now every night I have an Expecta fatty acid and a glass of water waiting for me before I go to sleep. Speaking of sleep, another recommendation by the doctor and witnessed by Nick is that I am only to sleep on my side, not my back. Well, apparently I am quite fond of sleeping on my back, but I never stayed there for long before I would get that gentle nudge from Nick that put me right back on my side.

Finally, I have to acknowledge his support and love through all of this. Pregnancy so far has proven to be wonderful in many ways and also a challenge in many ways. The biggest challenge for me has been not knowing how I'm going to feel from one moment to the next. Having a loving supportive husband to go through it with me has enriched the experience, and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to do it without him!

So this is just a small tribute to the silent soldier that is my husband because I may be the one carrying the child, but heaven knows he's going through it all with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment