Wednesday, June 8, 2011

What's New?

What's new in the Gax house these days? We have just been trying to get back into our routines since coming home from Houston. It's great to leave, but it takes a while to adjust once you get back (another sign that we are getting old older). Z has been having some sleep issues, namely waking up in the middle of the night, playing for a while before falling asleep at night, and taking shorter naps. He has also been acting a little aggressive lately, throwing things and hitting people (I think the two are related, and have no doubt Dr. Weissbluth would agree). I am hoping things will return to normal soon enough.

He is learning new words everyday, which I am both enjoying and am thankful for. This morning, he was eating his "wa-fuu" and I asked him if it was yummy, and he replied "mummy!" He can identify about 70% of his 100 First Words book, and makes the sounds for car ("beep beep"), train ("too too"), airplane, and boat (which I can't really spell out) in addition to all of his animal sounds. He recognizes about 90% of the alphabet and in his own way can (almost) count to 10! He still isn't stringing words together. Like he'll say "hi" and "mama," but when we ask him to say "hi mama," we get a blank stare. In the pool last weekend he started saying "cooo" (cool) and "weeee."

My new favorite word: "O-kay" except in this context:
Me: Z! Timeout!
Z:...O-kay (grins)

We have been reading Chicka Chicka Boom Boom to Z for months now. He has taken a hiatus from it but has rediscovered it recently. Last night I was reading and hubs was sitting with us, and when I got to "the whole alphabet up the..." Z yelled "Ohhh Nooo!" which is the next line in the book. So, now "Ohhh noo!" is part of his vocabulary as well.

His eating has improved tremendously since the cheese binge that was our Houston trip. I usually let him go to the fridge and pick out what he wants, but last week he said no to everything, so I closed the fridge, picked him up, put him in the highchair, and put what I wanted him to eat in front of him. In his crying rage, he tried to hand it all back to me one by one, then all of a sudden, he put a piece (it was chicken or something) in his mouth, then proceeded to eat whatever I gave him (they were all Z approved items, so nothing crazy here). But, it felt like a battle of wits that I won! Since then, it seems like he's trying almost anything we give him regardless of color, consistency, or texture (a lot of it doesn't pass, but at least he tries). That's big for Z, and here's proof. He's attempting to try a grape tomato.

All of this has taught me to try and chill when it comes to his eating. He'll come around when he's ready, and until then I'll keep offering different stuff.

Keeping cool with a popsicle, but Z would actually rather have "ice," which he requests by name quite often.

It has been stifling around this place, so we have been trying to hit the pool as much as possible. Right now, it has been limited to the pool at the condo where I used to live and my parents still have a condo, but soon, I'm hoping we'll hit the Y (if anyone else would like company in their pool of choice, we are willing and able).

These pics are all taken with my new 50mm lens (which I know nothing about, but heard it was great and am giving it a 'shot' (haha)).

 These pictures are of Z counting and pointing out the letters and numbers on the side of the pool

 
Love this picture
Z is so lucky to have 2 sets of grandparents that love and spoil him so much! We're spoiled too though, because it's usually a nice break for us when they're around!

2 comments:

  1. So excited you got the new lens! I really want one for my camera but unfortunately the Nikon one is not as affordable as the Canon one. :( That last shot of Z is really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These pictures are so amazing!! I meant to ask you last week about your new lens. It looks like it's going well. I had fun at lunch- I hope we can do it again soon.

    ReplyDelete