Thursday, October 13, 2011

Two Year Check-up?

This week Z had his two year check up, which was an odd even for several reasons. Let's start at the beginning.

I first had to strip him down to his diaper, pretty routine, and anyway, what kid doesn't like being naked?

Then the nurse came in she asked, "So are we sleeping well through the night?"

"Yes, sleeping great!" I reply as she is notating diligently on her clipboard.

"Okay, are we on any medication?"

"Nope, HE'S not on any medication." (annoying)

Then she proceeded to weigh and measure him. She wrote the info on a sheet of paper and handed it to me and said something to the effect of: Here you go, you can keep this is for your baby book.

"Oh thanks." (I immediately notice she wrote his weight down in both the height and weight spaces, honest mistake, no biggie, I'll get the info from the doctor)

"Okay, so are we sleeping well?"

"Yes" (very confused)

"Any medications?"

Seriously?
"No"

"Drinking out of a sippy cup?"

"Yes, drinking out a sippy cup" (for a year now)

Then she asks "are we eating table food." What? Table food? I mean he's 2, what kind of question is that?

"Yes"

(I swear I'm not making this up)

"Sippy cup?"

"Yes!" Oh my God, are we in the same room? What is going on here?

The doctor comes in (asks basically the same questions), making me wonder three things:

1. What the HECK was the nurse writing down?
2. Why have I not been much more concerned about how Z eats, drinks, and sleeps, because these are clearly the most important elements of toddlerhood?
3. Why am I here?

Then, she says we have to re-measure his head (what?). She didn't say why, so I thought, great, either she can't believe that Z's head is that big or that small. I really don't know which would be worse at this point. Then, I remember crazy can't remember what I just said 14 seconds ago nurse did the measuring. Clearly, that is the problem. Well, that and the fact that Z's hair adds about 1.4 inches.

She remeasured, and it was actually smaller than crazy nurse measured it to be. I guess the doctor thought it would be a little odd if Z's head grew 2 inches in 6 months...

Okay, so let's get on with the appointment. He weighs 26 lb.'s 11 oz.'s and is 26 feet 11 inches, oh wait, no, that was the crazy nurse stat.

He's 26 lb.'s 11 oz. (50th percentile) and is 35.7 inches tall (almost 3 feet!), which puts him in the 90th percentile. I was surprised by these numbers, I would have guessed he would have been closer to average on height and below average on weight.

He was kind of clingy when the nurse walked in, probably because he had nothing on but his diaper and he knew she was coming for him with her crazy repetitive questions and inaccurate measurements. He did really well with everything except the ear check. He DID NOT like that, probably because she had to excavate about a pound of wax out of his right ear before she could even see into it. That was lovely for everyone involved.

The only vaccine he had to get was the flu, and they gave him flu mist, so really no shots. I only had a couple of questions and they didn't really get answered because of said clingyness, which morphed into loud talking/singing/climbing all over me and the fact that I was in the twilight zone where the doctor and nurse were pre-programmed to say the same things over and over again. There is a very large small part of me that wonders why I even had to go in the first place. Call me crazy....

Check out the big boy


No comments:

Post a Comment