Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Pregnancy #2: The First Trimester

I know I have a lot of catching up to do on this pregnancy thing, kinda dropped a bomb on you guys! I am thankful that the first trimester is stowed nicely in the back of my mind and slowly phasing itself out of my memory. It was not the most fun. So, let's start at the beginning.

I found out I was pregnant the Friday we left for Ohio, and I did something I never thought I would do, took the test in secret. I not only never thought I would do that, I didn't really understand when other women did it, but now I do. Because, A: I knew I could handle the news either way, and B: I thought Nick might think I was crazy and try to stop me from taking it, because it seemed unlikely that it would be positive. Anyway, so I took it (in secret) and saw a faint line. I actually kept the secret the whole day until that evening right before we went to sleep. I think I said something along the lines of, "Want to hear something crazy?" And I spilled the beans. In an ideal world, I wanted to wait and test again when we got back and then tell him, but I couldn't stand it. I did, however take 2 more, one a different brand, which is another thing I surprised myself by doing, because I know that a positive is a positive, but I guess you just do it to convince yourself.

So, it was confirmed with a blood test at my doctor's office and in keeping with the theme of secret-keeping, we held the news pretty close for a while.

The very first symptom I noticed occurred before the actually + sign, and it was hunger. I felt really hungry and wanted fried chicken. Somehow it felt different. Anyway, that went away pretty fast and the fatigue and nausea hit at around 6 and 1/2 weeks. The nausea was bad, it was the kind of nausea that is not relieved by anything. I even woke up in the middle of the night a few times with it. I never got sick, but it was definitely worse than with Z. Nick bought me some ginger pills from whole foods (Morning Sickness Bliss or something like that), and that actually took the edge off a little. I was really worried because we were going to Nashville in the height of my sickness. Somehow, though it got a lot better on that trip and never really returned at least not with the vengeance it had carried before (if you're calculating that's about 2 and 1/2 weeks of sickness, which I'm thankful for because I know it could have lasted much longer).

The other symptom that comes to mind is indigestion/reflux. Not much to say about that except, man it sucked is still going. Sometimes it has been so intense that it makes me feel nauseated. THAT I do NOT remember having with Z.

I had a little progesterone level scare in the very beginning, so I had to get blood drawn quite frequently. That meant lots of excuses for why I needed help with Z appointments. I'm super thankful that that's all over, and everything is looking good now (that's an understatement)!

Here are the pics from first trimester


The second picture is about 9 weeks.

Stay tuned, there's more to come.

1 comment:

  1. I say you deserve an emmy for hiding your morning sickness from everyone. Also, I am so excited to meet our new little granddaughter in May!

    ReplyDelete