Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Family Togetherness

This past weekend, ahead of the Thanksgiving holiday, we had some nice family time. First, I took both of my kids for their check-ups, in retrospect not the best decision on my part, but it’s done, so I can check it off the list. Z had his eyes and ears checked, and thankfully he passed both. He’s just under 3 and a half feet tall and 38 pounds. Lu was just shy of 23 pounds and about 32 3/4 inches tall. Both were in the 75th percentile for height and ~50th for weight. The doctor said Z’s BMI was smack in the middle of the curve, so take that mom and dad (who always say he’s too skinny).

photo 1

We went over a lot of stuff and for the most part they were acting like heatherns (yes, that is a word, just ask anybody from Sylacauga). It kinda made the whole topic of discipline a little awkward. Then came the shots. Who in their right mind would agree to let their four year-old get his kindergarten boosters (when he doesn’t even start kindergarten for almost two years) when the poor baby was all excited about going to the doctor, almost started crying when he got the flu mist and has thighs that have exactly NO fat on them?!?! Purely rhetorical question, but the great news is that he is done with shots for a very long time, and he had no idea what they were doing, he just said that lady hurt me!

Lu only had her flu shot (thank the Lord, because it was all I could take dealing with all of that!). In the end, they were both crying and hugging me, and half-naked, and nobody brought them suckers or popsicles even though I mentioned suckers and popsicles no less than 30 times…. I need a vacation….

The last two times I took Z with me to Lu’s checkups, he was sick 2 days later, so this time, I doused them both with anti-bac gel constantly and gave them a bath (yes together, probably never again at least not for a while) right when we got home. As it was mostly a splashfest, there were brief moments of love and togetherness during and after the communal bathtime.

photo(46)

photo 2

photo 3

Everyone had great naps that afternoon, and it was all fine and well by the time we got to Nunna and Jido’s. Then, Baba arrived, and the love was really flowing.

photo 4photo 5

Saturday, we went to the gym in the morning, took naps again, and I had my office party at our house in the evening. Lu insisted on wearing her new rain boots, with her dress.

IMG_2559

Z had the best time. We hardly heard from him or Jude for playing video games.

IMG_2564

Until Jude left, then the “Ninja Power Ranger” came out and showed us some of his moves. I didn’t get any pictures, but he was really showing out for everyone. Hilarious!

My office is mostly Auburn fans, and everyone arrived for the last part of the game. It was super tense, and when the catch of the century was made, we all screamed so loud, poor Z got frightened. After that clencher of a game, a big dinner, homemade desserts, dirty santa, and gift swaps, we were all worn out. It was a great night! I am so blessed to have such a wonderful office staff, and I look forward to getting together with them for the holidays every year! It’s so special!

Nick made sure to catch the outtakes along with the website worthy shots.

IMG_2569

IMG_2578

By Sunday, we were pooped! It was rainy and overcast, and we were excited to not have to go anywhere. I don’t know how, but I convinced Nick to get the Christmas decorations out. We all had so much fun putting them up, and Z is so excited (at one point, he actually hugged the tree)!

photo 1

Of course, the rainboots made another appearance.

photo 2photo 3

We had to save some decorating for Uncle Faris, as it has become a tradition for him to help us trim the tree, and put up some of the lights, but it was just enough to satisfy me. Something about the weather, and probably all the blogs I read like this one that got me in the mood. Incidentally, what did I do before I discovered the wonderful world of food and fashion and family blogs?? I learn so much from them!

No comments:

Post a Comment