Monday, September 20, 2010

Reflection

As Z's first birthday draws near, I am reminded of the past year and his life as an infant. The first year is special in so many ways. At no other time, will he grow and change so rapidly, will he be so content to be held and rocked, or see and experience so many things for the first time. I am saddened a bit that I will never tuck his tiny body into a sling and walk around with him. I am borderline devastated that my breastfeeding days are coming to an end. Yet, at the same time, I cannot wait to see what kind of boy Z is going to be to see his personality emerge from the babbling and random gestures. I can't wait to see his face light up when we enter the toy store or go to the park. He's already quite expressive, but I am excited to hear his little voice describe his favorite toy or his request to go somewhere or have his favorite meal.

This year has been filled with almost equal parts joy and anxiety, exuberance and exasperation. There is no doubt in my mind that Nick and I were born to be parents. Every minute that I spend with my little family brings peace and harmony to my life and my soul. I joke that I could live for the rest of my life with just me and Z, but in truth, I could not imagine another day without Nick or Z in it!

As cliche as it sounds, I never imagined I could love someone as much as I love my baby boy! I just want him to have the best childhood and the best life he could ever have, and even more importantly to know that he is so loved!

Z, we love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment