Monday, September 26, 2011

Birthday Eve

My sweet baby will be 2 years old TOMORROW! I am so excited! His birthday has definitely become more exciting than my own! On this birthday eve, I feel it is appropriate to reflect on the past year and maybe even look forward to the year to come. Z had many milestones in the second year of his life. He started walking, talking, recognizing letters, numbers and shapes, throwing things (I just said milestones, not good milestones). Lately, more than ever, it feels like he is a little person. He communicates his needs and wants, responds to questions, usually doesn't tumble off of things or get into situations he can't get himself out of. Our days consist of telling him what we are about to do, asking him what he wants to eat, do, or watch on TV. He chooses the books he wants to read, tells us when he's finished, hands us things. I have found that when I tell him I am about to do something (i.e. brush your teeth, clean your ears, cut your nails), he is more patient and tolerant than when I used to just start doing it without saying anything first. He's so much more active, exploring the entire house, going up and down the steps (supervised, of course), running outside, playing in the park. We lead less and follow much much more than we used to. I love his free nature, his propensity for the outdoors (although, he did not get that from me). He loves it. He's never happier than when he's allowed to walk freely and stop and look at things and ask "what's 'is?"

The past few weeks he has been talking so much, I can barely keep up. He can also half-sing his favorite songs: Itsy Bitsy Spider, Twinkle Twinkle, ABC's, and recently the Birthday Song! The other night, he just randomly started singing Twinkle Twinkle all by himself in the car.

His new phrase is "I like it ____." For example, I gave him a bite of frozen lemonade, and he said "I like it I-cream." Anything other than milk, water, or lemonade is referred to as "'rink." So, when I was sharing my drink with him, it was "I like it, 'rink."

He has all but memorized most of his favorite books and will finish the sentence for me, as in Brown bear brown bear what do.... "SEE!" and Does a kangaroo have a mother too... "YES!" I suppose that's why those books are so simple and repetitive.

One thing I love that he does, and it is so simple is when he wants to give me something and he says in that sweet toddler voice, "Here, Mama." Melts my heart...

I don't think he'll ever know how much we love and think about him. It's like he is just living his life, and all he knows is that we're there when he needs us, and I'm thankful for that. I think that's what parents are for to make their children feel happy and safe and not have to worry about a thing until they have to.

I can't wait to see the kind of person Z becomes. I hope he is thoughtful and generous, kind and loving, and most of all I hope he feels happy and fulfilled, because if he does then we have done our job!

On another note, we let Z see one of his birthday presents a couple of days early. This was the present given by Jido and Nonna and put together by Mom and Dad! Z was in awe (we were too, to be honest). It's pretty cool, and while it did arrive in a million pieces, it wasn't that hard to put together.




Z's party is this weekend, and we are going to celebrate with his class tomorrow. Can't wait!!

No comments:

Post a Comment