Monday, June 1, 2009

Getting a Clue

Can you feel him move yet? That has been the big question of the second trimester, and according to the books, my answer should be a resounding "yes!". And yet, I am finding myself filled with uncertainty in regards to this question. In my defense, pregnancy has been closely coupled with strange abdominal sensations. I won't go into detail, but suffice it to say, I don't know what's happening in there from one moment to the next. I suppose that's part of the wonder and mystery of it all. So, about the tenth time someone asked me if I could feel him move yet, I decided it was time to take control of this situation. Enter Nicholas. So, lying very still I asked him to put his hand on my belly for a minute and see if he could feel anything. Lo and behold, not indigestion, baby movement! I'm not sure who was more surprised, him or me! That moment was a revelation for me, because now I know what I'm supposed to be feeling. And much to my delight, I have realized that he is actually quite active. As a side note, he must have gotten that from his daddy, because his mama tends toward the lazier side of life.
Now his movement has become constant entertainment for me, because I find myself picturing him doing fancy acrobatics and stretching his arms and legs out to get comfortable in there. Not only is this exciting, but also it is a pretty significant milestone for me, because for the first time in this pregnancy, I feel like I am getting a clue about what's going on inside my body.

No comments:

Post a Comment