Sunday, December 20, 2009

All's Well That End's Well

I said I wouldn't blog about this, but sometimes, you gotta laugh to keep from crying, so here goes. Another weekend has come and gone with Zaydo. Friday, I had some grand plans, but the weather was awful and Zayd was not really cooperating. He wouldn't sleep for more than 30 or 40 minutes at a time the whole day, which I have learned equals cranky baby. That night we had dinner with my parents and he slept through the night (woohoo). Saturday, he took a looong morning nap and was acting like a different baby, bipolar, I know. We were talking all day about how great he was that day, smiling and talking just generally loving life. We took him to the mall and he even slept in the car, something he hasn't done since we brought him home from the hospital!
I was really excited about hitting Shelley's potluck and then meeting up with Nick, my parents and some friends at Superior Grill. I even put him in his special outfit (which was way too big, by the way). Timing is a very important factor with babies, and the timing of my evening events was less than optimal, to say the least. He was so sleepy but wouldn't fall asleep, wouldn't eat, and just simply fussed the whole time at Shelley's. Thankfully, Michelle took him while I ate a little bit, but it just went downhill fast. I ditched the cute, way to big outfit and tried all of my mommy tricks, including swinging him in his 10 pound carseat. Of course, I was all nervous and embarrassed even though everyone told me it was no big deal. Long story, short, we bailed...

Here's a group pic from the potluck. Zayd was in his seat next to the camera screaming... Luckily, we weren't shooting video

He (and I) cried in the car, and we were almost to the house feeling hopeless when my dad insisted that I join them at Superior Grill. I arrived there (still slightly frazzled), handed Zayd to my mom and within minutes he was asleep on her shoulder and I was laughing with my dad. I guess Zayd isn't the only one with bipolar tendencies...

Here he is with Zayna, his first friend. She's 3 weeks younger than him. Notice, he is sleeping at this point.
He went straight to bed at 10 and slept until 8 on Sunday morning! This picture is a little blurry, but this is what he does when I talk to him first thing in the morning. Now, how can you be mad at this face?
We had a great day Sunday and even went out to Firebirds Sunday night. Firebirds was where I ate the night I went into labor with him 12 weeks and 1 day ago. I'll always have a special place in my heart for that place!

Me and Zayd with our respective meals. This was the same thing I ordered the night I went into labor.
She's Good! What can I say?

I guess I can sum up the whole weekend by saying all's well that ends well...

4 comments:

  1. That kid is cute even when he isn't happy AND I think we got some pics to prove it!

    Don't be embarrassed. You certainly can't control the situation and I felt bad you were so stressed. Now, I don't have the newborn baby instinct (that Michelle has) but when he becomes a toddler...let me have him. :) THEN maybe I can help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lora- I know how you feel. To this day the worst night of Rileys life was the night my sister got engaged. He had never cried so much before and hasn't since. But he put an absolute horrific show for my sisters future family and all of her friends in Tallahassee! And...aren't Grandmothers the best!! What would we do without them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shells, I'll definitely take you up on that. I am glad I got to see you guys even if I was inflicting undue stress on myself!
    Allison, sometimes they really come through for us but sometimes they just have to be who they are, babies! haha! I know, my mom is the best! I am closer to her now than I have ever been in my life too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nights like that are tough. And the thing is, everyone else understands but you still feel bad about it. The first two times we had people over for dinner after c was born, she screamed the whole time, so I was stuck back in her bedroom with her and didn't get to visit with anyone. I thought that no one would ever want to come over again!

    ReplyDelete