Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Bustin' Out

It took us 18 months, but we finally took a vacation and left Z at home. Vacation has taken on a whole new meaning now that we have a child. I mean, you think that when you get away you'll feel like you used to, free, independent, no worries. But on the contrary, we felt something missing and a longing for our child that caught us off guard at times.

We felt blessed that Z was in great hands with his Nana Gaxiola, who graciously kept him at our house. We left early Thursday morning (before Z woke up), and came back Sunday afternoon, just 4 days, but it felt like 2 weeks!

The reason for the trip... Celine Dion. If you know me. you probably already know that I am a huge fan, and it started long ago. Celine and I go way back to the '90's, and I was fortunate enough to see her concert in Birmingham in 1999, granted, we were in the nosebleeds. Then, the love continued through college and beyond. I have many fond memories of screaming singing Celine at the top of my lungs with my girl friends either in the car (Julie) or in the Chi-O house (much to annoyance of some of our housemates). Her music is like the soundtrack to my life.

The first time she was in Vegas, I was a lowly student, couldn't get away for anything, and the tickets were beyond sold out. We were actually in Vegas in '05 for my sister's wedding, but it still didn't happen. Then her world tour brought her back to Birmingham, for the first time in 10 years! Nick got us amazing seats this time, and it was an unbelievable show!

So, when I found out she was returning to Vegas, I would not let the opportunity pass me by again. A conversation turned into a reality and we planned the trip with my parents. They are Vegas veterans, so naturally they were going to join us.

We stayed at the Aria hotel, and saw three shows: Sinatra, Celine, and Criss Angel with Cirque de Soleil. The Sinatra show was so so, and Celine was amazing as usual. We were so close, it felt like she was singing to us. Within the first 5 minutes, I had already decided we were going to return before she left Vegas again. Criss Angel was really good. Although ever since I saw those shows on how street magic is done, I have lost interest in "magic," the Cirque performers were hilarious and made it worthwhile. We ate, shopped, and played! The only thing we didn't do much of was sleep!

Here we are at the Julian Serrano Restaurant in the Aria on the first day

Outside the Wynn before the Sinatra show

The Bellagio, of course
The wonderful Caesar's Palace, home of the Celine Stage and Forum Shops, the greatest place on earth
Celine's Back!

I may or may not be the proud owner of one overpriced t-shirt that says J'Adore Celine on the front and Celine M'Adore  on the back.... We also may or may not have paid a couple of visits to the Louis Vuitton and Gucci stores. You can't go to Vegas without buying some luxury item, right?!

We were so happy we got to facetime with Z several times and we got several photo updates from Nana. He was clearly having the time of his life!




When we got home, Z ran so hard and fast toward us with the biggest smile on his face that he could barely keep up with himself! It was wonderful! It's great to leave, but even better to return!

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a fabulous trip!!!! I'm so happy y'all got some couple time..and of course Celine time:) But what a fabulous little man to come home too.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going away, while wonderful and certainly necessary, can be so difficult. But the greeting you get when you return definitely makes it all worthwhile! Glad y'all had a great trip!

    ReplyDelete