Thursday, May 19, 2011

My Child's Alternate Life

I have been learning this week that my child lives a second life at school. Let me explain. Usually, Nick drops him off, and I pick him up, and it's all pretty uneventful. We get reports that say what he ate and drank, how much he slept, diapers, and what activity they did for the day. They usually tell me, he had a great day, mom! This news was important to me in the beginning because not every day was "great." Many days he cried what seemed like the entire day. We would drop him off crying and pick him up... crying. Not fun.
As he progressed, I began hearing more stories about how he and two other boys would crawl around in circles chase each other around class. They were like his first friends, and the teacher called them the rat pack. 

Now, we are in such a routine that I don't even ask. But this week, when I got there Z was chasing one of the little girls around the classroom and squealing. He didn't even notice me. I started talking to the teacher and she began telling me all of these things that my child is doing.

He signs "more," "I'm full," and "all done."
He says "please."
He recognizes colors and shapes.

What's next? He speaks Spanish?!

I know a lot about my child, but this I did not know. I feel enlightened.

Then when he was ready to go, he grabbed my hand, led me to the door, waved to everybody and said buh-byee. Well, okay then.

I love our little routine, we ride home and sometimes sing along with toddler radio on Pandora. Lately, we have been watering the plants, checking the mail, then Z closes the garage door (by pushing the button), walks up our couple of little stairs, walks in the house, and shuts the door. He's getting so independent these days. So far, he knows his limits, but still tests them from time to time. I just love this time because I never know what he's going to do next!

1 comment:

  1. He's growing up way too fast!!!! Slow down Zayd...well I guess don't..but it is so crazy to think how much he is changing!!! I can't wait til Zayd and Henry are playing together...now that will be weird;)

    ReplyDelete