Monday, July 23, 2012

Growing Up

Z has been hanging with his cousins lately, 7 year-old Jude, 6 year-old Amira, and 3 year-old Adam. He is totally loving it, although a bit overwhelmed when they're all together and in his house. It has been good for him and he definitely looks up to them. I had no problem with any of it until I asked him if he wanted to watch Dora the other night, you know his most favorite Latina BFF who makes him laugh out loud. Yeah, that one. And, the response, well it shattered me.

Me: Hey Z, you want to watch Dora?
Z: (in a know-it-all teenager voice) Mommmm, I don't watch Dora anymore. I don't like it
Me: jaw drops

Guys, I am seriously upset about this! I know he's just saying it because he heard his cousin(s) say it, but I am very traumatized by this for two reasons:

1. He is young and impressionable, that I understand, but he loves Dora more than anything, and I can't believe he would change his beliefs that easily.

2. The thought that he already thinks something is "uncool" makes me scared that he's growing up, which I don't think I can handle. What's next? Making me park across the street from his preschool because he's embarrassed to be seen with me?

Okay, maybe a little exaggeration. I am going to work to re-establish they're connection, if for no other reason than the fact I just paid $23 for 15 episodes on iTunes.

1 comment:

  1. No No No! He is not allowed to not like Dora yet. I know you can convince Dora is very cool.

    ReplyDelete