Monday, November 26, 2012

Thanksgiving 2012

We had a really great Thanksgiving this year, and I cannot express how thankful I am for my many blessings!

I’ll start at the beginning, Wednesday, Thanksgiving Eve, the one day in the year when my kids school is open and my office is closed. We’ll call that ‘Magical Wednesday.’ I was not going to let anything get in the way of Magical Wednesday, even selfishly when the school called on Tuesday to tell me Lu’s cough was sounding worse. In my defense, I did call the doctor’s office, and they didn’t suggest bringing her in with the symptoms I described. Definitely not the fact that my nephew was out of school and there was no family here to take care of him (thank you, Uncle Faris and Miss Amber). So, anyway, back to Magical Wednesday. It began with a peaceful cup of coffee and the couch. I knew that if I wasn’t careful it would probably end there too, but I managed to get up and head to the store to get the rest of the ingredients we needed for Thanksgiving.

Then I got a call from a certain aforementioned uncle telling me his tooth was “killing him” and “unbearable.” After I said I few choice words, I awaited his arrival only to find he was tricking me and actually came to tell me in person that he had gotten accepted into Med School. ‘I am going to hurt you,’ were words that were very present in my mind. I celebrated, kicked them out, pumped, got ready and made my way to the Summit, where some lovely me time took place.

I headed out just in time to hit some major traffic, and nearly too late for the school, but I got the kids and returned home. That night we began the preparations that would take up most of the daylight hours the next day to produce this:

IMG_9865

Our Thanksgiving feast!

IMG_9866

which we promptly devoured, boxed up, and moved on to Black Thursday night Friday. We didn’t do anything crazy, but Nick and Faris did attempt to get out just to say they did. Unfortunately, I passed missed out.

The menu: Smoked (fully cooked) turkey, deviled eggs, dressing, mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese, corn casserole, sweet potato casserole, broccoli casserole, pineapple casserole, pumpkin pie, and rolls. Were there some things I would do differently, absolutely, but we were all too busy eating to complain. The kids enjoyed The Polar Express and a sampling of the feast at the kids table and Lu missed the whole thing entirely, as we felt that it was an opportune time for a nap. Lucky for us, she agreed. Either that, or she slept just ‘cause we needed her to.

Speaking of Lu, I set aside a sweet potato for her and mashed it up and she LOVED it. She’s finally getting this whole food thing, and I think she’s realizing what she’s been missing. More on that later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment