Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Little Kid Problems

Little kids have problems too. They have no control over what they are going to do from one day to the next. They don’t know where they’re going or what their parents have signed them up for. There is no better example of this for me or for Z that the following.

Swim lessons. We talked up swim lessons to Z, but he had no idea what they were going to entail, now two lessons in, he knows, and he wants nothing to do with it. We even heard him saying in his sleep, but I don’t want to go to swim with teachers….

Soccer. There is a neat little soccer program at school that Z has been participating in for the past year or so. I had thought I would give him a break for the summer, since it’s hot, etc. Then, the day before the first lesson, he saw the paperwork in his cubby and started talking about it, like for sure he was going to be going. Mom guilt kicked in, and I started picturing him sitting in class when the soccer guys came in, thinking he’d be going and them telling him, nope sorry you’re not in this time, your mom didn’t sign you up… So, I did what any crazy person good parent would do, I called and got him enrolled at the last minute, and how does he show his appreciation? Tells me he doesn’t want to do it!! This very morning, he said “I want to stay in the classroom, I don’t want to go to Soccer Shots.” Perfect.

Z has gotten pretty good at coping with this lack of control by eventually giving in and saying “Ohh-K, I’ll do x, y. or z” as in:

“Ohh-K, I’ll go to soccer shots, eat my cookie after dinner, wear my sandals, drink out of my blue cup instead of my red cup.” You know, really important stuff.

He’ll be going back to swim lessons and he’ll be doing soccer shots, because that’s what being a kid is all about, doing stuff you don’t want to do.

Incidentally, Z really warmed up to the baby pool and did pretty well in the big pool with us when we went back on Sunday. And Lu loved it!

photo 1photo 2photo 3photo 4photo(3)

No comments:

Post a Comment