Monday, March 17, 2014

Peanuts Schmeanuts

We had a pretty low-key weekend all in all. I guess the big thing was that I found out on Friday (what I already kinda knew) that Lu is allergic to peanuts.

IMG_1723

A few months back, my mom was watching her when she was sick and gave her a fiber one pb&j kids bar. I had never exposed her to peanuts, and was waiting until 2 (which is what I did with Z). In Mom’s defense, the bar did say “kids.” Anyway, shortly after she had a bite, she started coughing, then rubbing her eye which then swelled almost shut. Thankfully, I was on my way home and able to get some benadryl, which I gave her and she started getting better. I still put a call in to the on call nurse, and we felt like it was kindof an isolated incident, but that she should probably get tested at some point.

I wasn’t about to give her anymore peanuts or peanut products, but wasn’t really sure it was an allergy per say. Wellll, fast forward to the last sick visit when I mentioned it to my new pediatrician, and he totally freaked out and said I need to take her to an allergist stat. He may have even said the word stat, I think he said yesterday, but I digress. After I picked up my ‘Mom of the Year’ award, I made an appointment with an allergist in town which brings us to Friday and this:

IMG_1754IMG_1756

1 is the control and 4 is peanuts. Well, there you have it folks. From this point on, you will not find peanuts or peanut products in the Gax house… Period.

Who needs ‘em?!

The rest of the weekend was great! We were supposed to start soccer on Sunday, but it got rained out. I guess all of Z’s practicing was for nothing.

IMG_1784IMG_1788

Who wants to tell this girl she’s not old enough to play yet?

IMG_1786

We all know I love some front step photos. I usually like it best when they’re in cute clothes, but we didn’t feel like changing out of pj’s to go to Nunna and Jido’s on Friday, so pj’s it was.

IMG_1761IMG_1763

Saturday night we went to the mall and out to eat at Five Guys, which as we were sitting at our table, Google informed me is not the best place for people with peanut allergies. Lu had been there before, and thankfully she did fine, although we probably won’t take them again. Don’t let the picture fool you, sister only ate fries.

IMG_1818IMG_1819

Z is all into making funny faces these days in case you couldn’t tell (Nick’s going to kill me for posting this one, but he had to know it would make it here).

IMG_1815

We cannot go to the mall without going to play games, and while Lu and I usually shop while the boys play, this time she wanted to be a part of the action.

IMG_1804IMG_1808

And yes, she is wearing baby jewelry, and yes if I can help it you will be seeing it again.

We went for ice cream after dinner, and Z ordered strawberry, which I thought was unusual, but he ate it all, and sister cleaned her plate too. Sunday was low key getting stuff done around the house and our impromptu St. Patty’s Day meal, which was delish if I do say so myself.

IMG_1835

I am thankful for another great weekend with my bunch.

IMG_1778

Wow, this post was so random.

2 comments:

  1. Poor Lu! Hate that about the peanut allergy! But you sound like you are handling it well, so that is good. I would probably be a neurotic mess. But we also have lots of peanut products in our house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cooper's allergic to peanuts and it's easy to keep them out of the house but it gets so tricky when you go to parties and out. The worst is that he can't have cakes from a bakery because of the chance that they may use those pans for nut related foods and the residue would still show up in a peanut free cake. So, we have to make all of his birthday cakes ourselves and I they are sad looking.

    ReplyDelete