Monday, January 9, 2012

Changing Times

Sometimes I think back to the time right before I had Z and how I thought there were things I would never be able to do again once a baby entered the picture. On the top of that list was going out to eat. We used to say, we’ll never be able to do this again, you know go to a nice restaurant eat peacefully and talk, stay out past 7 or 8 or even 9 o’clock (admittedly, that I didn’t think I would be able to do even when we were taking him out). Now, I think back to the many peaceful evenings we’ve spent at restaurants on Saturday nights the past 2 years (certainly not all peaceful) and I remember that things don’t always end up how you think they will.

We had one such evening on Saturday. My aunt and cousin are in town, so we decided to go to Bonefish Grill with them and my parents. We had to wait a few minutes, but then we were seated and we got to enjoy several courses and take our time. We were able to converse and eat our food at a normal pace. Sure I had to attend to Z, feed him fishsticks and such, and sure he had my phone about half the time, but that’s nothing to complain about. Then, we left and went to Barnes and Noble where we chatted some more, browsed magazines and books, and as long as we sat around the train table, we were able to do it all in peace. Sure I had to take him to the bathroom and change a poopy diaper on the disgusting changing table in order to keep him from the being the smelly kid at the train table, but that was really no bother either.

It actually almost felt like a pre-baby weekend outing. We even got home around 9, put Z to sleep and did another thing I never thought we’d be able to do, slept in, until almost 9 in the morning!
We’ve been able to go to the gym on the weekends. I haven’t really missed any of my TV shows, and sure we don’t go to the movies much anymore, but we still rent movies and watch them at home after Z goes to sleep. What was I so worried about?

The thing is, that I wouldn’t want all those freedoms again even if I could have them, because Z has enriched my life in ways that being able to go to the movies, or up and take a weekend trip somewhere never could. I used to wonder what my life would be like with a little person in it, and now I wonder how I lived without him for so long! All of this is to say that I am so thankful for my little man and the ability to enjoy things I used to with him because we’re a family now and that’s what families do.

Why am I reflecting on this now? Maybe because I feel many of my freedoms will be temporarily suspended again soon, in 4 and 1/2 months to be exact, when we have 2 little ones to entertain and tend to, 2 to worry about bedtimes and naps, and 2 to potentially keep us from said activities we are so fond of, but I honestly couldn’t be happier about it! (Someone remind me about this in about 5 and 1/2 months). One thing I have learned is to enjoy the moment and when things change change with them!

Speaking of BG2. She has been moving a lot lately! I felt her for the first time around 15 weeks and for the past 2 or 3 weeks it has been unmistakable! That is probably one of my most favorite things about pregnancy! It’s like a constant (sweet) reminder that your little one is in there.
Z still has no idea what’s going on, at least I don’t think so. He has been a little attached to me lately, but that’s probably just a coincidence.
We have not decided on a name, but it’s not for lack of trying. I’m sorry #2, it’s just too hard, but we’ll get it, eventually.

I have bought probably about 10 outfits, so far. It was a little hard at first, but clearly I am having no problem doing it now.

We are working on the rooms, and by working I mean discussing. Z’s gonna move upstairs to a big boy room and BG2 is taking his, which means we’ve got some painting to do, and by that I mean we’ve got to get someone to do some painting for us.

Z is such a stickler for routine that I’m afraid what this is going to do to him. Having said that, his bedtime routine has changed some over the months. He doesn’t insist on singing itsy bitsy spider in the bed anymore, but we do read a book in bed. Y’all, it’s the sweetest thing, first he sets his winnieS and Elmo up and tells them “sit bottom Winnies, sit bottom elmo,” then we read a book. Lately it has been Llama Llama Red Pajama (If you don’t have this book, get it, seriously). Right after we finish the book, he takes his friends, and says “okay Winnies, okay Elmo," and gets them and himself situated on his pillow and that’s (usually) the end of it. I love and cherish that moment so much I can’t even tell you!
The Winnies
photo(4)

Speaking of change, Mama’s gettin’ big!
photo(5)photo 1photo 2
photo 3photo 4

1 comment:

  1. You'll have so much fun with 2...it is so sweet to see your kiddos interact with each other. Congrats on the baby girl--you two will be quite the stylish pair ;) You look great!

    ReplyDelete