Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Hospital Stay

Our hospital stay was thankfully pretty uneventful. The Labor and Delivery room and nurses were really great! There was all this natural sunlight coming through these huge windows in the room and everyone was very sweet and attentive. My hospital has a brand new women's center, and I was pretty excited to take advantage of that. When I got transferred to my recovery room, I was a little less impressed. I think they have gotten too big too fast and didn't have enough people to cover all the patients. There were several times when we would ask for things and the nurse would act like she couldn't be bothered to help. I should be thankful that I didn't need much attention, and I'm sure there were probably other women there that needed more. I just had a wonderful experience with the nurses and facility for that matter with Z, so I guess I just expected the same or better this time.

We were strongly encouraged to room in with her, even at night. People, that was not so easy. Lu is a sweet baby, but she was a little less so in her first days. Looking back, it was great though, because we totally bonded, and sometimes it can be hard to bond when you are in the hospital and there are people coming in and out of your room taking the baby and checking your vitals all the time. Sleep was a little tricky, but we managed.

As I mentioned earlier, I went into labor Wednesday morning. Of course my mom and Nick were there for the birth itself, then my mom left while we got settled in our room and my dad came up from Sylacauga and picked up Z on his way. My brother came, and Nick then went and got his parents from the airport. So all of our family were there by Wednesday night. After Z got his present, Nick's parents took him to get "chicken n fries" and home to go to bed. We are so thankful they were there to take such good care of Z while we were in the hospital and after! We couldn't have done it without them! My dad hung out with us that night for a while, then there were three for the evening. The next day was very chill.  We hung out with Lu, relaxed, and took a couple of walks around the hall (that was the main event). Nick's parents brought Z over again for a bit, and then, our dear friends the Gambino's came and brought us Taziki's. After a day and a half of hospital food, that was the most delicious gyro I had ever had! It was perfect and so good to talk with them about something other than babies!

We went home the next day around lunchtime, and we were so relieved to have gotten through the hospital stay and be taking our little girl home! There is something special about that time, but we were glad when it was over!


1 comment:

  1. I have heard that Brookwood discourages using the nursery. I wonder why? Of course with C, I was hell-bent on keeping her in the room with us, but by the second night I was like- take her away! :) She cried so much. With SC I sent her both nights. I was so anxious with her next to me and couldn't sleep bc I kept checking to make sure she was breathing. It made me feel better knowing she was in the nursery with someone was watching her. Although I still didn't sleep great without her bc I would get so anxious if they were even 5 min late bringing her back for a feeding. :)

    ReplyDelete