Saturday, May 19, 2012

Not Starting at the Beginning

I'm really not sure where I can start or how much time and energy I have at the moment, but I'm going to try with what I have and we'll see what happens. Lujayn is doing very well, thank God, and so am I. Many aspects of my labor and recovery experience were much easier this time (good news for you second time pregos out there) and some a little harder, but I will get into that later. Where we are now is Lu is glowing both from the jaundice and the bili-blanket she is wearing (really it's wearing her) at this moment. Her bilirubin was a little elevated on our discharge day, so a home health nurse met us at home when we arrived with a bili-bed, a little platform that's lit with a special light that allows the baby to break up the bilirubin and get rid of it quicker that she's supposed to lay on. That's great in theory, in theory...

She spent a good hour with us literally from the second we walked in the door saying that the baby would have to be on this bed at all times unless she is being fed. And guys, let me tell you, this is not a baby you can feed and lay down and not expect to hear from her about 2.5 seconds later. It was a lot to take in, so hormonal over here got a little emotional. Don't worry, I pulled it together (eventually) and we managed (thanks to my very proactive father and husband) to get the glowing pad that travels with her so we don't have to fight with that stupid bed anymore.

Her levels are already down a little bit (they were mostly worried they were going to go up more), and her weight was really good. She was 6'5" at birth, 5'13" the next night, and this morning she was back up to 6'2" yay!

Here's our little baby radiating light, literally.



So far today, she is like a different baby, calm, satisfied, and settled. I think she sensed my anxiety over the stupid light bed and she was reflecting it or it could be that my milk came in last night because our feedings are going a lot better too. All in all things are looking up. Oh, she also had her first bath, and while she didn't love it at first, once we started going on that hair, she was in heaven!


This pic reminds me of this one of Z (also a little jaundice baby). Here we go with the comparisons.

Well, that's all for now.

3 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you both are doing well. Love the headband pic...very sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your posts! You are such a wonderful, resourceful mommy!

    ReplyDelete