Monday, March 12, 2012

First Night as a Big Boy!

We finally bit the bullet and got Z’s big boy room set up and ready for him to spend his first night in. We have been talking about it since before Christmas, and we’ve actually had the toddler bed, a gift from Nana and Tata, since Christmas. It was one of those things that we knew had to be done, but were not in a big hurry because he was still doing relatively well in his crib. I say relatively because he wasn’t climbing out or anything but there were nights when he would wake up crying for no reason, which we took as an indication that he was getting tired of the crib. But the clock is ticking on baby girl and one thing we knew for sure was that he had to be out of that room well before her arrival!

We had bought The Very Hungry Caterpillar bedding a while back from Pottery Barn. So, I got it out and washed it, made the bed, and we topped it off by bringing up the train table along with his long time pals, Winnie(s) and Elmo and his “green light” night light.

IMG_6931

We talked to him all day about his “big boy room” and how he was going to go night night upstairs tonight. After his bath, he even walked to the stairs went straight up. When he saw it, he was in shock, mostly because of the train table.

After we played with the trains for a bit, we got him to crawl into bed, read a book, sang, and that was it. I  mean, that was it until 7:30 this morning! I couldn’t believe it.


Seeing his sweet little self bundled up underneath that little comforter probably not knowing whether to be excited or scared, but not fighting this new big change, it was almost too much for this hormonal Mama. I kept it together though. I even told Nick that I wasn’t about to turn this into an emotional crisis. I had convinced myself of how good this was for all of us. But, y’all it was hard! This was definitely a he’s-not-a-baby-anymore moment, and it was all I could do not to lose it!
I’m so proud of him, and so relieved. I know every night won’t be that easy, but at least we have (finally) done it. Honestly, it couldn’t wait much longer!

This morning: Still in shock that the trains are in his room!
photo(8)

1 comment:

  1. I am worried that if I leave toys around the big boy room, my almost 2.5-yr-old will get out of bed to play when he should be sleeping. No troubles with that, though? Let me know if you can, his first night is tonight! :)
    Thanks, Natalie

    ReplyDelete