Monday, April 9, 2012

Mama Sick Day

I have taken a bit of a hiatus from blogging, but I have a pretty good excuse this time. I got wiped out by strep throat last week. It started last Saturday with a sore throat that I thought was just from reflux because I have been waking up with sore throats for a while, but it got progressively worse. I had my tonsils out a few years ago, and it felt just the day after they were removed. On a scale of 1 to 10 it was a hook-me–up-to-a-morphine-drip-now. I started a Z-Pak on Monday and within a few hours of starting it, the fever and chills started, those didn’t go away for a good 2 days. I even had to cancel patients on Tuesday (a first for m). It’s all a blur now, but it was the sickest I’ve been in a long time and a great reminder to be thankful for days when I feel well!! I finally started feeling better on Thursday, and by Saturday I was back to normal.

Nick took such great care of me and Z while I was O-U-T. I had to wake him up several times at night for tylenol or water and he kept me warm/cool (whichever I needed at the time) at all times. He also took complete care of Z, drop off, pick up, bath dinner, everything! I am soooo thankful he was there for us, and I have no idea what I would have done without him there to nurse me back to health!

I missed Z so much during those few days. We kept my contact with him very minimal and I think he could feel it. He kept saying “mama sleepy,” then when I would get out of bed he would say “mama wake up!” When I was around he was checking me out to see what was going on and would periodically climb up on me and get in my face (exactly what he didn’t need to be doing!). He insisted that I come with them at night to put him to bed, and of course I wouldn’t have missed that anyway!

I’m also so thankful for my parents who came to our house Tuesday and Wednesday nights to help us out and nurse me back to heath. It was my dad who insisted I get out of bed and go to work on Wednesday, even though I kinda wanted to just go to the hospital (no kidding, the thought crossed my mind). He was right (of course) and I was feeling better by mid-morning that day, and since I had been on antibiotics for 3 days I wasn’t contagious anymore, so it was probably the best place for me to be.

I couldn’t help but worry about little bean while I was sick, but I was in constant contact with several doctors, including my OB, and they assured me that I was doing everything I could be. She was moving and shaking most of the time, so that was good reassurance too. I started getting a few more B-H contractions toward the end, but I just kept on drinking fluids and they got less frequent, thankfully.

Being sick is no fun, but being sick and pregnant, a whole different ball game! I am so thankful that is behind me and now (God-willing) I can focus on this sweet baby who’s going to join us very soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment