Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Life Update

I'm happy to report that two nights in, the move into her own room has been rather successful. She still hasn't slept for more than 4 hours, but we are sleeping much better, and contrary to what I had originally thought, it is actually easier for me to get up and go into her room to nurse her and put her to sleep than it was to roll over and get her from the bassinet and do it there in the bed. Weird, but I think it is because the quality of sleep we are getting in between feedings is so much better. It's just us and the monitor, instead of us and her, listening to her every breath, burp, and moan!

She is eating every 2.5 to 3.5 hours during the day and sleeping a good bit. I have also tried to start putting her down for naps in her bed as opposed to letting her sleep on me on the couch. It's strange for me to actually be able to read her "sleepy cues" like yawning, and get her to sleep on time like all the books suggest. With Z, there was only one cue and it was screaming, which made it hard to tell if he was sleepy, hungry, or just mad as you know what!

So far, things she likes are swaddling (especially with the velcro swaddle blankets), being held (obviously), white noise (somewhat, not as much as Z), and being rocked in the glider. So far, it hasn't been that difficult to get her to sleep, particularly when I time it right. Last night, I think we let her get too tired or she was having digestive issues, but either way, she screamed for about 15 or 20 minutes (which for her is unusual), but then she totally crashed for 4 hours!

I can't believe she is 4 weeks old today! I feel like she changes every day!




Z is doing really well with her. When I go pick him up from school, he runs to us and says "Mommy! Baby Sister!" He didn't even run to me before we had baby sister! Lately, he has been really good when we get home too. He just entertains himself or helps himself to snacks if I am feeding Lu and can't get to him. Yesterday, because she fell asleep in the car, I actually was able to kick the soccer ball with him for about 20 or 30 minutes outside! It was great (for both of us) and something I didn't think I would be able to do for a while!

He is talking so much and saying the most hilarious things like, "I need to tell you something" and "What are you talking 'bout?" When we were playing outside, I fell over my flip flop and busted it. He ran over and said "You Okay, Mama?" Then he was trying to help me "fisk it." My favorite thing he says is "Hey Mama!" and "Hey Baba!" when one of us walks into the room. He also says it when we call Nick from the car. Speaking of the car, we can't go for a ride without him asking for the "Know Song," which is Gotye's "Somebody That I Used to Know," which he sings along with especially on the chorus. I just love to hear his little voice singing from the back of the car!

He is ridiculously into Dora these days. I downloaded an episode on his iPad a while back and he rediscovered it and was playing it over and over again until we got him a couple more. Then he watched those over and over again, so we downloaded a whole season. The crazy thing is that he still watches those same ones!

He totally answers her questions, sings the songs and has even learned some spanish words like "La Luna, Estrella, Mochila, Verde, and Rojo!" He's not bilingual yet, but hey it's a start. 

No comments:

Post a Comment