Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Hand Foot and Hit Me in the Mouth

My little sweet, mild-mannered, quiet precious baby got what we think was hand foot and mouth disease last week.  I have deduced this based on my medical research and wait for it… an actual diagnosis from an actual doctor (I guess I am capable of change). Her symptoms were fever, followed by refusal to eat or be happy for more than about 2 minutes at a time. It’s been a blast.

It all started on Wednesday when she woke up and seemed warm, (but for the record did not register a high temperature before we sent her to school), and they called me around noon saying she was about 103. Ironically, I had a long lunch and was just trying to figure out what I should do with my time. I picked her up and she seemed okay. They said she was really sleepy and refusing to eat much. Since that did not seem to get better the next day, and since I was only working a half day, and because I felt maybe the doctor for once could have something enlightening to tell me, I decided to take her. SHE WAS THE FUSSIEST THING I HAVE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE while we were there, did you get that? Yeah it was bad. After she was manhandled and had blood drawn, it was decided that because of the sores on her tonsils and her blood count that she has a virus and likely the one that causes  HFMD. I thought that was a little crazy until that night when her teacher messaged me and said another child went home with it, and now almost every baby in her room and the next one over has had it.

Okay, I thought, how bad could it be? Bad… She refused most foods (thankfully, I am still nursing a little and I had some supply in the freezer both of which she took no problem) and she would just scream for no reason, a lot, and there was not much anyone could do to make it stop.

We are 5 days in and she is just now getting her appetite back but the fussiness is still going pretty strong. I am praying for it to go away for all of our sanity!

Now back to the weekend review, we had a really good weekend, despite the fact little bit was not feeling great. I got a lot of QT with both of them, and Z was quite a trooper. He didn’t seem bothered a bit by her fussing.

IMG_5734

We have started a new tradition of walking to my parent’s house after nap on Fridays. My dad walks over and we push them in the stroller and walk back together . It is really nice, and a lot easier to go for a walk when you have a destination (at least for me).

IMG_5739IMG_5726

Saturday, we got up early and did the March of Dimes. It was great, and they did really well, although Z was definitely overwhelmed by the sheer volume of people.

IMG_5749IMG_5747

If you’re wondering, it was not cold, but Z always wants his blanket when he sees sister with hers, and sister’s (and probably his too) is for comfort not warmth…

We felt since we were up and in the area, why not hit up the mall. They did pretty well, although a bit cranky considering all the stroller time.

IMG_5756

That night we went out to eat with the fam, and Lu was SO over it. We had to take turns taking her outside, but she was starting to eat a little better, so that was okay. Let’s just say, we’ve had more fun dining experiences.

Considering all that, we had a lazy Sunday, soccer was canceled (again), and we all went to bed early. Lu’s not quite back to herself, but she’s getting better every day, thank the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment