Monday, February 24, 2014

Mercedes Marathon 2014

My dad came up with this crazy idea back in 2012 that he was going to run a half marathon in 2013 (The Mercedes). We were all like yay Dad, you go for it, and call us when you’re done, and we’ll celebrate with you, but we’ll be warm in our beds until then.

So, he registered, got all his stuff the day before. We all went to dinner, then he got up at the crack of dawn in the freezing cold and my mom drove him to the marathon. We were like “duh, where’s the coffee?” when he was on mile 6 or 7! When he finished we went down there and celebrated with him and I was SO PROUD! We even blogged about it. At the end he said, next year Nicholas will do the half with me!

Fast forward to Marathon weekend 2014 and this happens:

IMG_1147

My brother (going for the full marathon), my dad, and Nick. Could I love this picture any more?  Well, actually I can, when I think about the fact that my dad had asked one of the race leaders to take it for him at the start line. You could notice a hint of embarrassment in my brother’s face, but if I know one thing about dad it’s that he doesn’t give a you know what! (the guy was actually VERY nice about it).

IMG_1144

IMG_1141

They all stayed together for a little bit, but then this guy had other plans.

IMG_1145 

While he was checking his watch and following his training program, these guys were taking videos, telling stories, and occasionally checking their time.

IMG_1142

To me, this video illustrates their experience pretty well. It’s an iphone video of the Fox coverage.

They seemed so happy and like they had the best time together! I was so glad they had each other! I think Dad has started a new tradition!

IMG_1143

Mom and I and the kids did make it down there, not in time to see them finish unfortunately because I know nothing about downtown and parked 4 blocks away only after it took me 20 minutes to transfer their carseats, blah blah blah you get the picture, we were late.

We had fun anyway, and Z and Lu were happy to be a part of the celebration.

IMG_1113IMG_1133IMG_1135

No comments:

Post a Comment