Monday, February 3, 2014

Snowmageddon 2014, Part 1

I’m behind by a couple of weeks, and I will do a catch up post on those soon, but this post is going to be all about last week (which I am SO GLAD is OVER!).

Let’s start at the beginning: It was March 1993, and out of nowhere a blizzard… too far, okay, my bad. In my defense, that was the last major snow event I remember, and I was a kid, only 10. I hadn’t a care or a worry in the world. Sure, we lost power for days and days, but to me it was a week with no school and sitting by the fire eating Snickers Ice Cream Bars we buried in the snow to keep frozen since our freezer was out. Going through a snow event, especially one as unexpected as this one, as a parent… a whole different ball game.

Tuesday started like any other day. Sure, there was talk of snow, but it was understood that it was happening late in the day and there would be little to no accumulation, no problem. Then, it began, innocent enough, in fact I even joked that my Midwestern in-laws would laugh their butts off that we were even calling that snow.

IMG_0628IMG_0629

Then, more fell, and more, and it started looking kindof serious. Around 10:40, I got the text that the daycare was closing at 12. Z was there, Lu was at home with my mom recovering from a stomach bug. Realizing things were getting a little more serious but having a lot of patients scheduled and a couple still here, I took care of some things, grabbed my phone (but left my charger thinking I would be back in an hour at the most) and left about 11.

IMG_0631IMG_0633

As I was approaching 280 from the Narrows, I noticed a lot of cars and quickly realized I probably wouldn’t be back in an hour. We made necessary arrangements with the patients, and I started making my way down to get my baby. The road was horrible! People were already spinning off of it, a school bus was off to the side. I had a steep hill to climb, then get right back down, and it was not going to be easy! Thankfully, I made my way up that hill and back down, into Lee Branch, then up toward Brook Highland. That’s where things got really sketchy. I kept thinking, even if I make it down, how in the world am I going to get back? The road going back was solid white and treacherous to say the least! But, I kept my head straight and laser-beam focused on getting to Z! What else was I going to do?!

IMG_0634IMG_0635

Sure, I panicked, shed a few tears, but I was thankful for a few many things. My babies and Nick were warm and safe, I was warm, I had a full tank of gas, full charge on my phone (not for long), and I was in a safe car. I checked in with mom and Lu periodically and of course Nick. I even facetimed with mom when the phone lines were jammed, and I was stopped in my car, both of which were happening more and more as the evening progressed.

I just kept staring at the thermometer stuck on 19 and the snow continuously falling and praying for one of them to let up. The snow finally stopped about 4-ish, but that thermometer didn’t budge!

Once I was in the Brook Highland area, I started to realize I wasn’t getting anywhere anytime soon! Everyone would call and say, are you there yet? You’re with Z now, right? NO, NO, NO! I wanted to scream and I did!

After 6 and a half nearly hopeless hours, I reached the point of literal no return and decided I had to leave my car and start walking. I had decided I was going to walk to Z’s school and spend the night there with him. It wasn’t much of a plan, but it was a plan, and It felt great to have a plan. I was close to TJ Maxx at that point. I left my car in the left hand turn lane (on an incline), and walked first to Home Depot to get some warmth, a phone charger, and to go to the bathroom.

I facetimed mom from the bathroom in Home Depot, and saw and heard Lu belly-laughing (at what I’m not sure) and I just broke down. My mom helped me stay strong by reminding me that everyone including me was safe and to get some supplies to help me get to my next stop. I bought gloves, snacks, a phone charger (which the lady in Home Depot was trying to give me for free!) and headed back out. Worried about my car and seeing some movement and emergency vehicles, I walked back up to double check there was nothing I could do. The road was worse, people were attempting to pass one at a time with the help of some civilians, and they confirmed there was not a thing I could do safely. So, I began my ~1 mile journey to the school.

I made my way down to his school, trying to stay away from sliding cars and other hazards. I managed that until I walked across one of the turn ins, which was a hill (they all were) and busted it. Thankfully, not too bad.

I finally made it to Z’s school where everyone was frantic and not so optimistic about spending the night there. I plugged in, and talked to Nick who informed me that miraculously he had gotten us a hotel room right across 280 from Z’s school. All I had been hearing was that ALL hotels were fully booked. I have no idea how he did it.

Z was ready to go, but otherwise had no idea what was going on. We still had a trek to make to get across 280 and to our hotel. We bundled up, and happily took off. Z was complaining about being cold just a few minutes into the walk, so of course I had to hold him. It was slippery as you can imagine, but we made it across 280 and found the kindness of a stranger on the other side. He offered us a ride that took us straight to the entrance of the hotel!

There we were like two refugees walking to a safehouse. Thankful to say the least!

To be continued….

2 comments:

  1. How horrible! I can only imagine what a nightmare that must have been, glad you all are safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me emotional just reading it. So glad y'all were safe. What a scary few days!

    ReplyDelete