Wednesday, February 26, 2014

The Ugly Side

In case you thought that things are peaches and cream at the Gax House all the time, I’ll just tell you they’re not, things get ugly at my house just like any other. I just choose to elaborate on the good stuff and gloss over (if I even mention) the bad.

This weekend, I got to celebrate my awesome friend from college, Shelley by going to her wedding shower and spending the night at the lake for her bachelorette! You heard it, TWO kid-free outings! I was beside myself, and it was much needed for me and much deserved for Shelley!

That of course left Nick handling the kids, and they did great despite the fact that Lu woke up on Saturday morning with a fever and Z woke up three times Saturday night saying his mouth hurt. They seemed okay (after magic medicine Ibuprofen) on Sunday, then Monday afternoon when I picked Z up from school he said his head hurt and he was really cold. He went down pretty fast after that. So, sparing the details, he got sick (at home and not in the car, even though I stopped on 280 and let him out thinking he was going to) and kept a fever for the next 24 hours or so. Then he actually started to pinpoint the pain to his throat, and when we looked in there, we saw a massive tonsil and felt a swollen lymph node in his neck. Consulting with my dad and bro, we decided to take matters into our own hands and started him on amoxicillin last night, then today it was confirmed that he does have strep.

Miss Lu on the other hand has been a fussy bunny for a long time. She hasn’t really had much fever, just low-grade on Saturday and again yesterday, but man she just cries and cries for no reason lately, so we also confirmed she has not one but two ear infections, today at the doctor.

So there we were, Mom with the sick puppy known as Z, who also did not want to be touched and thought he was there for Lu to get a checkup and Lu, who started screaming the minute we pulled into the parking lot. (I love my mom to death, but it was at this point that I wanted to say, “See, Mom THIS is why you can’t go get lunch from Jason’s Deli and a Latte while I take my kids to the doctor”).

IMG_1229IMG_1230

But seriously, I am so thankful she was there for me! If I had had to take them alone, I for sure would be in a puddle on the floor.

Now that it’s sunny and we have medicines, I have found my hope again, and I am ready for the weekend, which incidentally we are going to the beach to celebrate my niece’s birthday. In the words of my doctor, that’s why they’re sick because we planned a trip…

I’m not sure about the kids in those other pictures, but these kids are going to have a fun weekend!

IMG_1216IMG_1217

No comments:

Post a Comment