Sunday, November 29, 2009

Thanksgiving Weekend

I'm so thankful for my family, my parents and siblings, and of course my new family including my precious baby, Zayd. This weekend has been so meaningful to me. I have gotten so much quality time with my hubby and my baby! I am truly blessed!

We decided we probably should join the ranks of adulthood and make a traditional Thanksgiving dinner for our family. Nick did most of the prep work and the cooking for that matter, and it was a huge success. It was too bad we couldn't share the goods with Zaydo, but he had his own Thanksgiving dinner ;). We spent the rest of the weekend relaxing and visiting with friends with a few trips to the Lakeshore trail in between. Here are the highlights for those who are interested.

Wednesday, I spent the morning bonding with Zayd, Nick came home early from work, and his aunt, uncle, and cousins stopped by on their way to the beach. Just as a reminder, Zayd slept through the night that night!


Thursday, we got up and went for a walk. The weather was perfect and Zayd loved it! Then Nick spent the rest of the afternoon preparing our dinner and I hung out with Zayd. I helped out too, a little. We had an awesome Thanksgiving dinner with Faris and watched Funny People. We had to pause it about 30 times to work with Zayd, but then he finally went to bed. He woke up once that night, which kind of burst our bubble.

The Spread
Nick Carving the TurkeyEnjoying the Meal
The "Kids Table"

Friday, we braved the mall. It was chaos. The only thing we managed to do was get coffee from Starbucks and walk around a little bit. Zayd was in his favorite place, of course, and he got a lot of attention for it. People were staring and pointing. We heard one lady say to another, "it's a baby! I didn't know what it was at first either." Really?! What else would it be, a baby sized tumor? Anyway, that afternoon we all watched the Iron Bowl and ate leftovers.
That night, Ed and Forrest came by with a delicious dinner. Ed and Nick played Super Mario Bros. for the Wii, while Forrest and I chatted. It was awesome to hang with them! Zayd was slightly on the fussier side however and not the most pleasant to be around. Perhaps it was because he wanted some of Forrest's famous white chicken chili (can't blame him).

iPhone Pic at The Gap

Saturday, we hung out at home, again, then went over to Julie and Lance's house. We'd all had enough turkey by this point, so we ordered pizza. It was delicious, and Zayd did great. Of course, I had to wear him in the sling and stand up almost the whole night, but it was worth it for him to be quiet and get a good nap. Incidentally, we got our 3rd full night's sleep that night, woohoo!

Sunday, we hung out at home. I was feeling sad that the weekend was almost over. We took Zayd on a walk and had dinner with Uncle Faris. I had sushi (granted, from Publix) for the first time in probably a year and Zayd slept from about 10 to 3:30 then woke up at 7:20. It was really hard to leave him this morning, but off to work we went. He'll understand one day.

The whole weekend was wonderful. Nick and I got some much needed rest. We ate some great food, saw our best friends, and even made time to play some Wii! In short, I think we will remember our first Thanksgiving as a family for years to come.

4 comments:

  1. So many comments about this post. First, Nick ROCKS. What a great husband!! Second, it amazes me how rude some people are about pointing and talking about others in public. Third, the baby sized tumor is hilarious. Fourth, I am so so glad y'all are sleeping more now. Fifth, I'm also glad y'all had a relaxing weekend with lots of time together. Sixth, I keep saying this to the point of y'all thinking I may be a weird baby stalker, but Zayd is seriously one of the cutest babies I have ever seen. He is really adorable. I love his huge eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also thankful you had a good holiday weekend with your family, the first of many. I am thankful that Nicholas watched those cooking shows he used to watch on TV so he could help you with dinner. I am thankful that I get to see and hold my grandbaby soon. But most of all I am thankful that Zayd is a healthy baby boy! ps. I thought the baby tumor was hilarious too. Grand Gax aka Nana

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea he watched cooking shows, that's awesome! Zayd is excited to see you too. He has really changed a lot, and I think you are going to have lots of fun with him this time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's awesome that Z loves the sling so much! Curran likes it sometimes but usually only for short periods.

    ReplyDelete